Catching up with old friend is always nice, whether it simply hanging out having a couple of drinks or having lunch together. So yesterday I had lunch with one of my friends from back in primary school, whom I also consider a family friend. We had lunch with his three other collegemates at McDonalds. We're poor students and McDs have those special lunch prices, hence the choice.
We were eating and having great conversations, you know the usual talks, about people and campus life and people or life in general. We were laughing and were simply having a great time. Even when we were done eating we kept ourselves comfortably seated and continued our lively conversation. Until unknowingly the table got quiet and I realized everyone was checking their cellphones simultaneously. I don't know if I was the one who might've started the checking of the cellphone (I got a text message) but when I noticed the silence I looked up and realized everyone else were also engaged with their cellphones; Blackberry, iPhone, Nokia and the Samsungs. All but the BB are touch-screen phones. Ten years ago, when cellphones were just starting to get popular, they were bulky contraptions that only adults can get their hands on...which they never seem to put it down.
Also back then no 5th graders would have cellphones except those with parents who, for some absurd reasons, think they'd need one. Actually even 5th graders nowadays don't need a cellphone let alone an iPhone. I mean seriously, the only numbers they need to have are the emergency numbers and their parents'. Who else would they need to call, their girlfriend? Wait what? You haven't even hit puberty yet, what are you going to do with a girl? Gross, back to the topic.
Then the cellphones were put on such a healthy diet and went through the Beauty and the Geek makeover that as the years progress smaller, thinner and better looking phones start to pop up from everywhere. And you can even change its appearance what with the availability of many casing designs. You could even have transparent keypads. One day you'd see a person with a black cellphone, the next day his cellphone would be ocean blue. No he didn't get a new phone, he just got new casings.
As the demand changes, so did the phones. That's why we have "computers" in our palm now. An android is basically a laptop, only 12x smaller (when compared to my unreasonably ginormous laptop). Did I mention there are no more keypads now? So there's no need for those transparent keypads anymore.
Ode to advancing technology. Where would we be without you?
1 comment:
I noticed that you had a makeover of the website. I truly enjoy your recent posts (since June 2011). Your writing has matured significantly and much more enjoyable to read (use of sarcasm might have done its share) It's worthy of admiration.
PS: I am not an avid follower of your blog, I just happen to see the newsfeed on Facebook. Oh the beauty of technology.
Yours truly,
Food is good.
Post a Comment